Go Green for the Holidays!
The holidays are here. And while the holidays bring bundles of holiday cheer, they also bring massive amounts of waste. According to the Environmental Protection Agency and USDA, the volume of household waste in the United States generally increases 25% between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day – approximately 1 million extra tons.
This amount shocked us too. This stat was also staggering. If American households reduced their holiday ribbon usage by just two feet, the result would be a savings of 50,000 miles – enough ribbon to circle the Earth. Twice.
So how can you reduce your holiday waste this season?
Why not make a holiday promise to Mother Earth?
• I will use reusable bags during my holiday shopping
• I will give the gift of a sea turtle adoption this year
• I will wrap gifts in old maps, newspapers, or Sunday comics
• I will use small LED lights to decorate my home
• I will make my own Christmas ornaments
The most important thing to remember is that just one of these promises will make a huge impact on the amount of waste that is produced in your household this holiday season.
Do you have a green tip you practice during the holidays? If so, please comment below. We would love to hear from you!