Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is now accepting nominations for the prestigious and thirteenth annual Go Blue Awards. The hybrid event will take place on Friday, October 22, 2021, in LMC’s new event space and online. This year’s keynote speaker is the world-renowned, Dr. Sylvia Earle, who is the President and Chairman of Mission Blue and The Sylvia Earle Alliance.
In 2020, the Center received a record-breaking number of nominations both domestically and internationally from countries, including Argentina, Canada, Ecuador, Mexico, Mozambique, Thailand and the Bahamas. It’s anticipated that the 2021 nominee pool, in the following award categories, will surpass last year’s count.
- Lifetime Achievement: The Eleanor Fletcher Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes a person who exemplifies a lifelong, extraordinary commitment to marine conservation through their work or volunteer activities similar to LMC Founder Eleanor Fletcher.
- Volunteerism: The Blue Ambassador of the Year Award will recognize a person who has made significant contributions to ocean conservation through volunteer-related activities.
- Work/Career: The Blue Friend of the Year Award recognizes a person who has made significant contributions to ocean conservation through work-related activities.
- Youth: The Blue Hatchling Youth Award recognizes students up to and including 12th grade who have made significant contributions to marine conservation through volunteer-related activities.
- Business/Corporate: The Blue Business of the Year Award will recognize a business that has made outstanding contributions toward promoting conservation or restoration of marine life or ecosystems through their practices, products or technology.
- Nonprofit: The Blue Nonprofit of the Year Award will recognize a nonprofit that has made outstanding contributions toward promoting conservation or restoration of marine life or ecosystems through their practices, products or technology.
Photo credit: Tracey Benson Photography and Todd Brown (Dr. Sylvia Earle Portrait)
“Every year, it becomes a greater challenge for our judges to select the winners,” said LMC Board Chairman, Brian Waxman. “All nominees are inspirations in their field and serve a great purpose in protecting our oceans and marine life.”
Nominees are reviewed by an esteemed panel of independent judges who review the submitted criteria to choose finalists and eventual category winners. This year’s judges and former judges include Sally Murray, daughter of LMC Founder, Eleanor Fletcher; Susan Murray, Oceana U.S. Pacific deputy vice president and granddaughter of Eleanor Fletcher; Fabien Cousteau, aquanaut, oceanographic explorer, conservationist and documentary filmmaker; Gary & Brenda Adkison, U.S. Shark Foundation; and Greg Marshall, marine biologist and filmmaker. Also, Dr. Edith Widder, Ocean Research & Conservation Association; Paul Nicklen, acclaimed National Geographic photographer, biologist and conservationist; Cristina Mittermier, contributing photographer, speaker, and explorer for National Geographic, Joel Sartore, long-time contributing photographer to National Geographic and founder of the Photo Ark; and Brian Skerry, award-winning National Geographic photographer.
Submit a deserving nominee! To nominate a person or business, please visit marinelife.org/goblue.Submissions close on Friday, September 3, 2021, at 5 p.m.
Finalists will be announced later that month virtually.