Join us on Saturday and Sunday (Oct. 29-30th, 2022) for LMC’s first annual HallowMarine. This family event will feature a range of activities like safe and sustainable trick-or-treating, pumpkin splash show, and visits with our patients!
- Come dressed in your favorite Halloween costume (bonus points for ocean-inspired outfits!) for a campus-wide trick-or-treat. Designated doors will be decorated using 100% upcycled materials and marine debris. All treats will come from the sustainably sourced candy list.
- Watch the aquarium residents enjoy a pumpkin treat! The pumpkin splash enrichment activity begins at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Students from G-STAR School of the Arts, the Benjamin School, and Jupiter Environmental Research and Field Studies Academy have been chosen to carve pumpkins for this activity.
- Trick, treat, and grab something to eat! The Tortuga Café is open till 5 pm.
- Participate in LMC's Unwrap the Waves contest. Drop off candy wrappers for a zero-waste Halloween. Last year, 730,595 candy wrappers were recycled
Other tips for a sustainable Halloween:
- Host a costume swap! Re-use and Repurpose old costumes with your friends.
- Get creative with spooky decor, check out this DIY list for inspiration. https://inhabitat.com/10-sustainable-halloween-decorations-for-your-green-home/
- When tick-or-treating use a pillowcase or reusable bag instead of bags made of disposable plastic. Avoid purchasing hard plastic jack-o-lanterns.
- Shop for candy that uses sustainable palm oil, extra points if its wrapped in a non-plastic wrapper! https://www.cmzoo.org/wp-content/uploads/PO-Oragutan-Friendly-Halloween-Guide-2022.pdf