Sea turtles tell us the health of our ocean; the ocean tells us the health of our planet. Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is one of Palm Beach County Florida’s most visited cultural and scientific destinations. On an annual basis LMC’s networked campuses attract over 500,000 guests. LMC’s Vision: To be a leading authority locally and internationally in ocean conservation via sea turtle research, rehabilitation, and educational programs.
In 2007, LMC opened its current campus in Juno Beach, Florida and for the past decade, our operating budget has grown at a blistering pace and our programmatic impact has expanded locally, nationally, and internationally.
Over a decade of impact and catalectic growth has prepared us to springboard into the future. In April of 2019, the Center broke ground on our capital expansion. When completed, the Center’s campus will triple in size and will offer one of the most advanced sea turtle and ocean conservation learning experiences for students and guests.
As such, we are seeking a dynamic fundraising professional to serve as Donor Advancement Manager.
Our portfolio is unique in the non-profit arena:
• A top visited cultural destination, over 500,000 guests per year, a force for tourism
• The world’s most advanced sea turtle hospital, saving thousands of sea turtles annually and serving as a global veterinary teaching and training hub
• One of the most prolific ocean conservation & sea turtle research laboratories, LMC has one of the largest data sets in the world managed by exceptional PhD lead team, driving insights to action
• A highly evolved educational hub impacting over 70,000 registered students annually, county, state and where applicable federally certified and STEM infused curricula
• A global ocean and environmental conservation team, with nearly 90 global partnerships in 16 countries
Our unique multifaceted programming can attract, engage and ignite donors and prospects across a very wide spectrum of funding interests.
• This position is responsible for the development and implementation of strategies to successfully grow fundraising revenue with a portfolio of individuals who give individually to Loggerhead Marinelife Center.
• Create and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward transactional $5,000 donors, and all other individual gifts to contribute to achieving revenue goals.
• Works with the Director of Development and Senior Grants Manager to develop and implement excellent leadership donor experiences, to include volunteerism, events, and other engagement activities and communications, for all donors of $1,000 - $10,000, both in and out of the workplace.
• Manage and implement year-round relationships with portfolio donors to ensure long-term support of Loggerhead Marinelife Center's programs.
• Collaborate closely with the Director of Development and Marketing department to develop compelling direct mail and digital giving campaigns that engender donor loyalty and additional financial support of our mission.
• Input, track, and monitor donor touch points, gifts, and accomplishments through CRM Database (Sales Force)
• Represent Loggerhead Marinelife Center at community functions.
• Bring donor thoughts and reactions back to the organization and provide constructive feedback to the Community Impact, Marketing, and Finance departments.
• Function as an integral member of the Development team assisting with planning, solicitation, implementation and evaluation of campaign processes.
• Build and manage individual donor relationships, including an extensive donor pipeline. Increase donor recognition and retention, increase reach/penetration of campaigns within existing partners, and cultivate new individual partnerships.
• Oversee fundraising initiatives such as major gifts and annual fund campaigns. Partner internally with department heads of all LMC business units to highlight the value and impact of the broad portfolio to donors and prospects.
• Manage and personally solicit in partnership with your team, a group of major gifts donors and coordinate the cultivation of new prospects; develop a strategy around how the organization grows major gifts, including the introduction of planned giving vehicles.
• Create fundraising strategies to wrap around appropriate events, initiatives, and programmatic work; develop strong communications and recognition of donors and prospects to maintain and build the relationship donors and stakeholders enjoy with LMC.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
EXPERIENCE / REQUIREMENTS:
Demonstrated fundraising success in individual and major gifts along with additional sources of revenue generation.
Several years of experience building, developing and retaining strong relationships with donors . A collaborative and communicative work-style that translates into strong results with donors as well as internal partners.
• The Donor Advancement Manager must possess the ability to prioritize tasks and execute decisions effectively.
• The Donor Advancement Manager must possess a proven track record of soliciting and securing major gifts.
• This is a very fast-paced growth oriented organization as such, the Donor Advancement Manager must be able to multitask and be creative.
• The Donor Advancement Manager must have a keen focus on critical donor relationships and donor recognition. Creating and Cultivating trusted partnerships with Board Members, Elite donors, Sponsors, Capital donors, and active Blue Friends Society members
• The Donor Advancement Manager must have intermediate experience with Microsoft Office and the ability to build, mine, and deploy a DRM / CRM platform (like Salesforce, or Blackbaud)
• Financial Management Skills including creating and monitoring budgets for accurate financial reporting.
• Ability to perform with a cross-functional team with related job responsibilities.
• Experience performing research with Foundation Directory Online and Wealth Engine (preferred, not required)
Outstanding organizational skills, a deep respect for individual and collective revenue generating goals
Effective communication skills: an attentive listener, articulate speaker, and clear and persuasive writer.
Excellent project management skills. A decisive, “roll-up-the sleeves,” results-oriented individual who can keep seemingly diverse projects moving forward within a consistent strategic framework.
Character and substance; a person with the highest ethical standards.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS:
A four-year degree from an accredited college or university is required. A Master’s or advanced degree is preferred.
Certification in fundraising is desired but not required.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. LMC is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, including a base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
This is a salaried position, which may require the supervision of one or more employees and requires significant exercise of independent judgment and discretion with respect to matters of significance and which directly relates to management and the general business operations of Loggerhead Marinelife Center. The job position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and no overtime will be paid.
It is the policy of LMC that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center:
Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in North Palm Beach County, FL. The Center relies on the generosity of guests, volunteers, and supporters to power their mission and vision. For nearly 40 years, the center’s history revolved around community, family, conservation and fun. In their current structure, LMC’s significant scientific expertise rests upon their strong legacy of community and family engagement, providing guests and collaborators with one of the most unique experiences available. LMC is one of the most visited Cultural destinations in Palm Beach County. In 2019, LMC’s beachside campus attracted over 350,000 visitors’ half of whom were from outside of Palm Beach County.
LMC also operates the Juno Beach Pier and has an operating agreement in place with FPL’s Manatee Lagoon.
Total guests served on an annual basis = over 500,000.
On an annual basis, LMC provides over $52m of annual economic impact to Palm Beach County’s economy.
LMC’s core focus areas are: The Educational Institute at LMC: Over 70,000 registered students served in 2019. The Sea Turtle Hospital at LMC: Over 100 sea turtles and thousands of hatchlings saved in 2019. The Sea Turtle Research Laboratory at LMC: Advanced scientists and technicians responsible for 9.5 of researching one of the most densely nested sea turtle nesting beaches on our planet. Global Ocean Conservation: A multifaceted team dedicated to global collaborations with a ‘one ocean’ perspective, expanding LMC’s mission to nearly every continent.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Interested candidates, please email resume and cover letter to: HR@marinelife.org
You can also mail your cover letter and application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Human Resources
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408
*Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.