Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to promote conservation of ocean ecosystems with a special focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles. Our facility is open year round and is a world class sea turtle rehabilitation hospital and education center. We are located in Juno Beach, Florida and we have been conducting a sea turtle nest monitoring program along one of the highest density sea turtle nesting beaches in the world for over 25 years. The center is seeking Seasonal Field Technicians to assist with the North Palm Beach County Sea Turtle Monitoring project. The survey area annually hosts over 20,000 sea turtle crawls and technicians will gain experience conducting nesting surveys for leatherback, loggerhead and green sea turtles.
Summary: There will be 6 technician positions available. The term of these positions will be from April-September, with possibility of extending into October. The number of work hours will vary over the course of the summer and will range from 15-40 hours per week. The seasonal technicians will be paid $10-13 an hour depending on experience and education. Housing and benefits are not provided.
Reports To: Field Operations Manager
- Current undergraduate or recent graduate with a Biological Science related degree
- A minimum of 2-3 months experience conducting field work
- In good physical condition with the ability to work outdoors under extremely adverse conditions for up to 12 hours (high humidity, rain, heat and direct sunlight)
- Strong communication skills and enjoys interacting with the public
- Ability to learn complex tasks quickly and manage high stress work environment
- Attention to detail and strong problem solving abilities
- Ability to work independently and in a group
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must possess a working cell phone
- Must be a citizen of the United States
Additional preferred skills:
- Experience collecting field data quickly and accurately (especially with a Trimble GPS)
- Ability to operate an ATV
- Experience conducting sea turtle nesting survey
- Confidence with basic computer skills and data entry
- Prior experience with data entry and verification
- Experience working in a hot and humid environment
- Conduct daily beach surveys on all-terrain vehicle (ATV) starting at sunrise (at work as early at 5:00 AM)
- Document sea turtle nesting activity and identify each crawl to species and crawl type
- Locate the egg chamber and mark nests for evaluation
- Conduct nest excavations
- Document sea turtle strandings and disorientations
- Enter data into a hand-held DGPS unit, paper data sheets and database in office
- Responsible for basic ATV care including cleaning and fueling
The deadline to apply is February 14, 2019.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum vitae/ résumé
- Cover letter with available start date
- Two letters of recommendation (prefer if sent directly from reference)
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Introductory Period: It is the policy of Loggerhead Marinelife Center that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.