Hospital Technician – Part Time
Division / Title: Rehabilitation / Hospital Technician - Part time
The Hospital Technician is responsible for carrying out the orders of the attending veterinarian or hospital supervisor regarding patient care in our Sea Turtle Hospital. The Hospital Technician will ensure proper and timely administration of care and effective communication regarding care to internal and external parties as necessary. The Hospital Technician may assist in coordinating, overseeing, and instructing Hospital Volunteers and Interns/Students.
• Responsible for responding to stranding calls and capturing, restraining, and handling patients.
• Responsible for administering medications and fluids as prescribed and directed by the attendingveterinarian or hospital supervisor, and charting and recording of clinical data and treatments inelectronic medical records.
• Monitors patients and reports conditions to the attending veterinarian or hospital supervisor.
• Responsible for preparing food, performing feedings, and weekly patient weights and measurements.
• Responsible for cleaning and disinfecting materials, equipment, and tanks.
• Assists with coordinating Hospital Volunteers and Interns/Students under the direction of the attendingveterinarian or hospital supervisor.
• As needed, assists with necropsies and surgical procedures.
• As needed, assists the Animal Care department with monitoring water quality.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
• Undergraduate degree in biology, animal care, or related field preferred.
• Experience working with sea turtles is strongly preferred.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to follow instructions.
• Must be able to work under pressure in emergency situations.
• Must be available to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and on-call time as needed.
• This position requires several hours of outdoor work and requires staff to be physically fit, able to swim, and able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Possess or have a desire to pursue a veterinary technician license or certification preferred.
Founded in 1983, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a leading cultural attraction in South Florida that provides open access to all guests. Today the Center is a global leader in the research, rehabilitation, and protection of sea turtles, serving our broader mission to promote ocean ecosystem conservation. Annually we reach 900,000 guests with our transformational education programs and partner with nearly 100 organizations across six continents and 16 countries in ocean conservation. In early 2022, we will open a new 27,500 square-foot campus that greatly expands our exhibition, education, and convening space and doubles our medical facilities.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position involves working outdoors in Florida, often in hot and humid conditions. Successful applicants must be comfortable in a highly dynamic environment working long hours in the sun and at night in extreme conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be willing and able to travel for offsite work and possess a valid driver’s license.
This is an hourly and non-exempt part-time position. The successful incumbent may be required to perform tasks beyond the scope of this job description as requested by the supervisor. This recruitment may be used to select candidates for additional open positions. It is our policy that all team members, including newly hired, transferred, and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory 3 month period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume here >