Background: Do you love the outdoors in particular spending time at the beach or on the ocean? Do you have an appreciation for recreational fishing? Do you excel at interacting with a diverse group of people on a daily basis? If these attributes define your personality and you have the required management skills to operate one of our communities most treasured coastal resources, please consider applying for the position of Pier Attendant of the Juno Beach Florida Fishing Pier.
Summary: The Pier Attendant will work independently to assume responsibility for maintaining the physical assets of the property, as directed by the Sr. Pier Attendant. This includes performing preventative, predictive and routine maintenance tasks. The Pier Attendance will also be responsible for daily cash controls and customer service of retail operations at the pier. All tasks will be performed while supporting the policies, goals and objectives of Loggerhead Marinelife Center.
Qualifications: High School diploma. Prior experience in a retail or conservation setting preferred. Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills are required. Conservation and sea turtle knowledge preferred.
Supervisor: Directly responsible to the Sr. Pier Attendant and Director of Campus Operations
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Supports the LMC value of conservation and related initiatives
- Follow all LMC policies and procedures
- Perform the following operational functions as directed by the Sr. Pier Attendant
• Maintain grounds as directed by supervisor and report any maintenance needs
to Sr. Pier Attendant
• Maintain exhibits as directed by Sr. Pier Attendant
• Maintain all janitorial responsibilities as directed by Sr. Pier Attendant
• Perform Sea turtle rescue procedures in accordance with LMC and FWC protocol
• Maintain productivity in non-retail tasks
• Maintain store and exhibit appearance to reflect LMC standard
- Retail Operations
• Ensure customer service is #1 priority
• Follow all customer service guidelines
• Maintain visual presentation as established by Sr. Pier Attendant
• Have thorough knowledge of retail products and services
• Have knowledge of retail space and stock room inventory
• Replenish merchandise on a timely basis, as needed
• Maximize sales volume
• Follow inventory shrinkage program
• Demonstrate professional image and conduct
• Follow specific dress code policy at all times
• Communicate concerns to Sr. Pier Attendant or Chief Conservation Officer
• Support all LMC and management decisions
• Must be flexible to work rotating hours as assigned by management
• Work as a member of a team to accomplish goals set forth by management
- Document and monitor fishing pier processes and maintenance requirements
- Protect assets at the Juno Beach Fishing Pier
- Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center:
Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in North Palm Beach County, FL. The Center relies on the generosity of guests, volunteers, and supporters to power their mission and vision. For nearly 40 years, the center’s history revolved around community, family, conservation and fun. In their current structure, LMC’s significant scientific expertise rests upon their strong legacy of community and family engagement, providing guests and collaborators with one of the most unique experiences available. LMC is one of the most visited Cultural destinations in Palm Beach County. In 2019, LMC’s beachside campus attracted over 350,000 visitors’ half of whom were from outside of Palm Beach County.
LMC also operates the Juno Beach Pier and has an operating agreement in place with FPL’s Manatee Lagoon.
Total guests served on an annual basis = over 500,000.
On an annual basis, LMC provides over $52m of annual economic impact to Palm Beach County’s economy.
LMC’s core focus areas are: The Educational Institute at LMC: Over 70,000 registered students served in 2019. The Sea Turtle Hospital at LMC: Over 100 sea turtles and thousands of hatchlings saved in 2019. The Sea Turtle Research Laboratory at LMC: Advanced scientists and technicians responsible for 9.5 of researching one of the most densely nested sea turtle nesting beaches on our planet. Global Ocean Conservation: A multifaceted team dedicated to global collaborations with a ‘one ocean’ perspective, expanding LMC’s mission to nearly every continent.
About the Juno Beach Fishing Pier:
The Juno Beach Fishing Pier is one of North Palm Beach County’s most treasured community resources. Opened in 1997, the Juno Beach fishing pier is 990 feet in length, contains two (2) covered sitting / fishing areas, four (4) bait prep tables, a bait shop, and walk-up quick serve café / store. The Juno Beach Fishing Pier is adjacent to Juno Beach Park which is home to Palm Beach County Ocean Rescue as well as picnic shelters, outdoor showers, parking, and restrooms. In 2013 the Juno Beach Fishing Pier welcomed 57,000 guests a majority of whom use the pier for recreational fishing.
The Juno Beach Fishing Pier was the first pier in the State of Florida to offer Loggerhead Marinelife Center’s Responsible Fishing Pier Initiative a program which unites anglers and conservationists to improve the marine environment. More information on the Responsible Fishing Pier Initiative can be found here:
To apply, please forward your cover letter and resume to:
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
You can also mail your cover letter and application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Pier Attendant
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.