Division / Title
Advancement / Public Relations & Engagement Manager
Director, Marketing & Communications
The Public Relations & Engagement Manager is responsible for the public relations initiatives within Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) pursuant to its policies and objectives working under the direction and oversight of the Director, Marketing & Communications. The PR & Engagement Manager creates, manages, and implements PR campaigns with the goal of enriching the organizations’ position within the public eye. This position is also charged with acting as a liaison with various media outlets. The PR & Engagement Manager is also responsible for managing internal stakeholders and team members to ensure campaigns are distributed across traditional and digital channels.
Includes, but is not limited to the following:
• Manage the Center's local, national and global public relations and media engagement strategy.
• Develop, build and maintain relationships with local and global media (television, print, etc.); ensure LMC’s presence reaches out-of-county users.
• Manage press and influencer outreach through press releases, pitches, feature stories, press conferences and PSAs.
• Arrange on-site media interviews and TV/radio interviews for LMC representatives per LMC’s media policy.
• Work with Director, Marketing & Communications to develop “standard responses,” event specific media policies and crisis-communication materials.
• Serves as point of contact for all media/press inquiries and as center spokesperson when designated.
• Conduct and coordinate media tours as needed.
• Update and maintain digital press kit contents including bios, fact sheets, photos, etc.
• Create media lists and update press contacts as needed.
• Write, edit and distribute LMC communications including, but not limited to: media releases and editorials.
• Edit and write LMC produced communication, including newsletters, grants, letters, blogs, verbal/written presentations for senior staff, annual report, etc. in keeping with LMC’s branding policy.
• Create annual Public Relations plans in the annual Marketing Calendar in consultation with the Director, Marketing & Communications.
• Plan, implement and manage all press relations strategies, influencer relationships and media campaigns, including publicizing LMC’s research, rehabilitation, education and conservation efforts, working with LMC staff to develop story opportunities, to ensure strategies meet organizational needs and messaging priorities.
• Identify and leverage data to support storytelling efforts.
• Oversee, document and measure LMC’s news coverage internally and online through clipping service (Cision and Google Alerts) and in collaboration with Center’s social media strategies (i.e. sharing coverage on social media); assist with researching and implementing new strategies for documenting LMC’s news coverage.
• Track, monitor and evaluate PR strategies and media impressions.
• Represent the Center at public and professional events as requested.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
• BA or higher degree in marketing, public/media relations, communications, or related field, and minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in one or more of these fields.
• Must have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to seamlessly communicate with a variety of different audiences and knowledge of media outreach (i.e. pitches to secure coverage, etc.).
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and able to seamlessly communicate with a variety of different audiences.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Proficient skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Gmail, Outlook, and Web.
• Proficient in social media platforms (Facebook, lnstagram, Linkedln, Pintrest, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
• Exceptional project management, process management and organization skills.
• Must be creative with the ability to multitask, prioritize and maintain accuracy in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on multiple projects simultaneously with tight deadlines.
• Desire to learn new skills and advance career through professional development.
• Responsible for maintaining a high energy, positive attitude and professional appearance. You are expected and encouraged to be a brand ambassador for Loggerhead Marinelife Center.
• Mac proficiency is preferred.
Founded in 1983, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a leading cultural attraction in South Florida that provides open access to all guests. Today the Center is a global leader in the research, rehabilitation, and protection of sea turtles, serving our broader mission to promote ocean ecosystem conservation. Annually we reach 900,000 guests with our transformational education programs and partner with nearly 100 organizations across six continents and 16 countries in ocean conservation. In early 2022, we will open a new 27,500 square-foot campus that greatly expands our exhibition, education, and convening space and doubles our medical facilities.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position may involve working outdoors in Florida, often in hot and humid conditions, and at events that extend into evening and weekend hours. On occasion, it may be necessary to travel on a boat to rescue or release sea turtles, or to oversee campus preparations for tropical cyclones. Being comfortable and familiar with vessel operations will be helpful.
This is a salaried and exempt position. The successful incumbent may be required to perform tasks beyond the scope of this job description as requested by the supervisor. All team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory 3-month period. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. This recruitment may be used to select candidates for additional open positions.
Interested applicants may submit their resume cover letter and the names of three references here.