Overview:Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is one of the world’s most advanced sea turtle hospitals and one of Palm Beach County’s most visited cultural destinations. Our core focus areas are: education, research, ocean conservation and sea turtle rehabilitation. Our campus is widely known for our world class sea turtle hospital, our cutting edge sea turtle research, our seaside themed gift boutique, and our very popular public and signature events. LMC seeks a Public Relations & Engagement Specialist with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience to join LMC’s marketing team with the goal of spreading awareness of LMC’s important mission, both locally and across the globe.
Position Description:The Public Relations & Engagement Specialist is responsible for the public relations initiatives within Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) pursuant to its policies and objectives working under the direction and oversight of the Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing and Partnerships. The Public Relations and Engagement Specialist creates, manages, and implements PR campaigns with the goal of enriching the organization’s’ position within the public eye. The Public Relations & Engagement Specialist is also charged with acting as a liaison with various media outlets. This position is responsible for managing internal stakeholders and team members to ensure campaigns are distributed across traditional and digital channels.
Qualifications: Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently as well as with a team. In addition, must have excellent organizational, writing, verbal, and interpersonal skills. Innovation and creativity is a must for this bright, energetic individual as well as strong attention to detail and ability to multitask. Flexibility to attend occasional evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events is required, including signature events (Go Blue Awards, Beach Bash Palm Beach, TurtleFest, and Run 4 the Sea).
Supervisor: Directly responsible to the Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing and Partnerships
Public Relations / Engagement Duties
- Manage the Center’s local, national and global public relations and media engagement strategy.
- Develop, build and maintain relationships with local and global media (television, print, etc.); ensure LMC’s presence reaches out-of-county users.
- Manage press and influencer outreach through press releases, pitches, feature stories, press conferences and PSAs and arrange on-site media interviews and TV/radio interviews for LMC representatives per LMC’s media policy.
- Work with Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing and Partnerships, COO and CEO to develop “standard responses,” event specific media policies and crisis-communication materials.
- Serves as point of contact for all media/press inquiries and as center spokesperson when designated.
- Conduct and coordinate media tours as needed.
- Update and maintain digital press kit contents including bios, fact sheets, photos, etc.
- Create media lists and update press contacts as needed.
- Write, edit and distribute LMC communications including, but not limited to: media releases and editorials.
- Edit and write LMC produced communication, including newsletters, grants, letters, blogs, verbal/written presentations for senior staff, annual report, etc. in keeping with LMC’s branding policy.
- Create annual Public Relations plans in the annual Marketing Calendar in consultation with the Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing and Partnerships.
- Plan, implement and manage all press relations strategies, influencer relationships and media campaigns, including publicizing LMC’s research, rehabilitation, education and conservation efforts, working with LMC staff to develop story opportunities, and aligning the PR calendar with content, social and marketing calendars to ensure strategies meet organizational needs and messaging priorities; identify and leverage data to support storytelling efforts.
- Oversee, document and measure LMC’s news coverage internally and online through clipping service (Meltwater and Google Alerts) and in collaboration with the Center’s social media strategies (i.e. sharing coverage on social media); assist with researching and implementing new strategies for documenting LMC’s news coverage.
- Represent the Center at public and professional events as requested.
- Assist with on-site photography as needed; assist with managing volunteer and contract photographers as needed.
- Select and distribute key images and send post-event photos to press and stakeholders.
- Coordinate Juno Beach Pier’s monthly fishing forecast for Coastal Angler with pier coordinator.
- Write and edit the quarterly Vendor Spotlight featuring one Gift Store vendor.
- Coordinate monthly events/listings to Palm Beach Illustrated, Gulfstream Media Group, Discover the Palm Beaches, The Cultural Council, and others from media list; assist with researching new avenues for calendar listings.
- Responsible for maintaining a high energy, positive attitude and professional appearance. You are expected and encouraged to be a brand ambassador for Loggerhead Marinelife Center.
- Perform other public relations & communications activities as assigned.
- Develop editorial calendar and annual public relations strategies based on best PR practices.
- Track, monitor and evaluate PR strategies and media impressions.
- Create monthly PR/Marketing report as part of monthly Board Report.
- Work with Marketing and Social Media Coordinator and Associate Director of Branding and Design to update the In-The-News section of LMC’s website.
- Monitoring and servicing press clips to clients.
- Update job knowledge by participating in continuing educational opportunities, including PRSSA.
- Become knowledgeable with each LMC department:
- Pier and Manatee Lagoon
- Other administrative tasks as assigned by Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing and Partnerships.
Experience Requirement: LMC seeks a Public Relations & Engagement Specialist with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience to join LMC’s marketing team.
Skills Required: Advanced computer skills required: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) Gmail, Outlook, Web & Social Media savvy. Must have strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to seamlessly communicate with a variety of different audiences and knowledge of media outreach (i.e. pitches to secure coverage, etc.). Experience with photography and Adobe Photoshop is required. Mac proficient is preferred.
Educational Requirement: Bachelor’s degree or higher in public/media relations, communications, marketing, or a related field is required.
Application:Interested candidates, please email a cover letter and resume with “Public Relations and Engagement Specialist ” in the subject line to: email@example.com.
Compensation: This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. LMC is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, including a base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
Exempt Status: This is a salaried position, which may require the supervision of one or more employees and requires significant exercise of independent judgment and discretion with respect to matters of significance and which directly relates to management and the general business operations of Loggerhead Marinelife Center. The job position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and no overtime will be paid.
Introductory Period: It is the policy of LMC that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center: Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in North Palm Beach County, FL. The Center relies on the generosity of guests, volunteers, and supporters to power their mission and vision. For more than 30 years, the center’s history has revolved around community, family, conservation and fun. In their current structure, LMC’s significant scientific expertise rests upon their strong legacy of community and family engagement, providing guests and collaborators with one of the most unique experiences available. LMC is one of the most visited Cultural destinations in Palm Beach County. In 2017 LMC’s beach-side campus attracted over 350,000 visitors’ half of whom were from outside of Palm Beach County. LMC also operates the Juno Beach Pier and has an operating agreement in place with FPL’s Manatee Lagoon. Total guests served on an annual basis = over 500,000. On an annual basis LMC provides over $52m of annual economic impact to Palm Beach County’s economy.
LMC’s core focus areas are: The Educational Institute at LMC: Over 50,000 registered students served in 2017. The Sea Turtle Hospital at LMC: Over 100 sea turtles, and thousands of hatchlings saved in 2017. The Sea Turtle Research Laboratory at LMC: Advanced scientists and technicians responsible for 9.5 of researching one of the most densely nested sea turtle nesting beaches on our planet. Global Ocean Conservation: A multifaceted team dedicated to global collaborations with a ‘one ocean’ perspective, expanding LMC’s mission to nearly every continent.
*This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.