The Rehabilitation Technician is a full-time, salary position responsible for carrying out the orders of the veterinarian and certified veterinary technicians in regards to patient care in the hospital area. The Rehabilitation Technician will ensure patient care is administered properly and in a timely manner, provide communication with LMC volunteers and visitors regarding patient care and procedures as necessary, and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work. The Rehabilitation Technician will act as a supervisor of rehabilitation volunteers.
• Associate or bachelor’s degree in biology, animal care, or related field
• Experience working with marine turtles
• Strong communication skills
• This position requires several hours of outdoor work and requires staff to be physically fit and able to lift 50 lbs.
• Valid driver’s license
• Ability to manage volunteers and interns
• Good organizational and cleaning skills
• Follow the directions of supervisors
• Must be actively enrolled or applying to receive a certified veterinary technician license.
Supervisor: Directly responsible to Staff Veterinarian and Veterinary Technicians
• Cleaning and disinfecting tanks
• Monitor water quality
• Interview and managing volunteers
• Use and care of cleaning materials and equipment
• Food preparation and feeding
• Weekly weighing and measuring
• Capture, restraint, and handling of patients
• Administration of medications and fluids as prescribed by the veterinarian
• Charting and recording of treatments in electronic medical records
• Respond to stranding calls
• Drive work vehicles
• Recognize unusual patient condition and report to veterinarian or certified veterinary technicians
• Responsible opening and closing of LMC as acting staff member
• Assist with necropsies and surgical procedures
• Must have computer skills for data entry and collecting
• The job responsibilities are not limited to the list above
• Ability to accurately carry out instructions
• Ability to manage volunteers
• Ability to work under pressure in emergency situations
• Must have excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills
• Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays, and evenings
Introductory Period: It is the policy of LMC that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated by the CEO and the staff veterinarian for an initial introductory period on the job (3 months, 6 months and 1 year). After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center: Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in Palm Beach County, FL. We rely on the generosity of our guests and our supporters to power our mission and vision. Our amazing 30 year history is one of community, family, and fun. The good work we do on campus is designed to help promote the conservation of ocean ecosystems and the protection of threatened and endangered sea turtles. LMC is one of the top visited cultural destinations in Palm Beach County attracting over 300,000 visitors annually.
LMC’s core focus areas are Education, Research, Rehabilitation, and Conservation. LMC’s campus is widely known for our world class sea turtle hospital, our cutting edge sea turtle research laboratory, our sea-side themed gift boutique, and our very popular public and signature events.
In 2013, LMC assumed management of the iconic Juno Beach Pier and has launched a global responsible pier initiative (RPI) which has over 60 member piers worldwide. In 2016, LMC further expanded operations via a strategic partnership with FPL to manage the retail operations and consult on programming at Manatee Lagoon, an eco-discovery center in Rivera Beach, FL.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work long hours in the sun and at night in extreme conditions. The employee is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com.
You can also mail your cover letter and application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Rehab Tech Opening
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.