“**Please apply by following deadlines as this position is very competitive.**”
January Internship – Deadline September 30
March Internship – Deadline November 30
May Internship – Deadline January 31
August Internship – Deadline April 30
October Internship – Deadline June 30
The Sea Turtle Rehabilitation internship is open to students (undergraduates or recent graduates) with a focused interest in either animal care or veterinary medical care. Students will have the opportunity to learn all aspects of sea turtle rehabilitation through hands-on experiences, working directly with Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) staff. The internship is unpaid, and housing is not provided, so interns are responsible for locating their own living situations. One intern will be chosen per session. The start and end dates are flexible to accommodate school schedules. This position will be available year round.
• College undergraduate student or higher from a U.S. or International School
• Available for at least 2.5 months
• Commit to a minimum of 5 days per week (approximately 40 hours/week), weekends, and holidays
• Personal laptop/tablet is highly recommended
• Excellent communication skills
• Education and/or experience in environmental or biological science
• Well organized
• Self-motivated and possess the ability to work independently or as part of a team
• A desire to learn
• A positive attitude
Supervisor: Reports directly to Hospital Staff.
• Assist hospital staff with all aspects of marine turtle strandings and rehabilitation
• Maintain cleanliness in hospital, patient tanks, and exhibits
• Interpret patient cases for visiting public
• Maintain a professional attitude when representing LMC, on and off the clock
• Complete intern project and present to staff and volunteers at the end of the internship
• Further support Loggerhead Marinelife Center’s mission: “To promote the conservation of ocean ecosystems with a special focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles.”
• Other duties as assigned, such as but not limited to, diet preparations, enrichment,
and assisting with necropsies
Requirements to Apply:
• Internship Application
• Cover Letter
• College Transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
• Desire to pursue a career in the biological sciences, animal care, or veterinary medicine
• Basic computer and data entry skill
• Ability to research topics in peer reviewed journals
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Electronic Submission Preferred. Application can be found online here >>
Interested candidates can also contact the supervisor via email, Ashley Sabater at email@example.com.
**All application material must be emailed together. Letters of recommendation (not required) can be emailed separately.
You can also mail your cover letter and application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Rehab Internship
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.