Division / Title
Finance / Staff Accountant
VP of Finance
Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is seeking a Staff Accountant that will work in conjunction with the VP of Finance to maintain order and transparency for the Company’s tracking of grants, government contracts, and support our Development team. Maintaining accounting transactions and reporting are a large part of the Staff Accountant’s day-to-day work. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in accounting principles and comfortable working with numbers. The Staff Accountant will need to demonstrate the ability to work proactively, independently, and with attention to detail in a fast-paced office environment.
- Responsible for preparing and maintaining all financial records for the organization using QuickBooks online.
- Prepares journal entries, analyses, and account reconciliations and maintains the general ledger.
- Prepares balance sheets, income statements, and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines.
- Assists VP of Finance with monthly close processes.
- Partners with the Development department to provide financial information and reporting for grants, maintain in-kind financial records, and update Development software tracking.
- Contributes to the development and review of annual budgets and performance projections in collaboration with the VP of Finance.
- Provides outside auditors with assistance and gathers necessary account information and documents to perform annual audit.
- Organizes and maintains all electronic and paper files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in accounting and administration.
- Experience with QuickBooks online required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel.
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Founded in 1983, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a leading cultural attraction in South Florida that provides open access to all guests. Today the Center is a global leader in the research, rehabilitation, and protection of sea turtles, serving our broader mission to promote ocean ecosystem conservation. Annually we reach 900,000 guests with our transformational education programs and partner with nearly 100 organizations across six continents and 16 countries in ocean conservation. In early 2022, we opened a new 27,500 square-foot campus that greatly expands our exhibition, education, and convening space and doubles our medical facilities.
Physical Demands + Work Environment
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Successful applicants must be comfortable in a highly dynamic environment in an active and busy office or outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position may involve working outdoors in Florida, often in hot and humid conditions, and at events that extend into evening and weekend hours. Must be willing and able to travel for offsite programming and possess a valid driver’s license.
This is a salaried and exempt full-time position. The successful incumbent may be required to perform tasks beyond the scope of this job description as requested by the supervisor. This recruitment may be used to select candidates for additional open positions. It is our policy that all team members, including newly hired, transferred, and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory 3-month period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
Interested applicants may apply here: https://marinelife.bamboohr.com/careers/22?source=aWQ9Nw%3D%3D