Division / Title
Advancement / Vice President of Advancement
President & CEO
Oversees the Advancement Division that includes the Development Department and Marketing & Communications Department. As a member of the Senior Management Team, responsible for advancing the Center’s mission by guiding the contributed revenue, brand, and voice for a global pioneer in sea turtle conservation and education, and leading tourism destinations in Palm Beach County.
• Develops strategies for productive, revenue-generating partnerships with individual, corporate, government, and philanthropic leaders vested in advancing the Center’s mission.
• Develops data-driven strategies, using key performance indicators to determine and track programmatic impact. Derives and deploys metrics to co-create engagement and revenue generation plans for departments through goal-based collaboration.
• Oversees a successful traditional and social media strategy based upon the Center’s pillars of expertise in (i) veterinary medicine, (ii) education, (iii) scientific research, and (iv) conservation.
• Maintains and grows Center membership and visitation through strategic engagement with target audiences, and by cultivating customer loyalty and customer retention.
• In partnership with the CEO, develops and deploys key spokespersons to represent and speak on behalf of the Center in media communications, public meetings, video content, special events, board interactions, and other opportunities to advance the Center’s mission.
• Supervises and develops department staff, preparing annual work plans and budgets, practicing sound business acumen that is aligned to the Strategic Plan and coordinated with the Center’s Senior Management Team.
• With the CEO and CFO, develops and executes a strategy to build the Center endowment and endowed staff positions, working with key stakeholders, Board members, and giving partners to build a legacy for the Center’s future.
• Develops the strategy for, oversees the execution of, and manages all fundraising campaigns and annual fund goals.
• Works closely with the VP of Retail on the strategy and execution of Center special events, including fundraising and membership goals, marketing, and communications, and alignment with the Center’s strategic plan and budget.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree (graduate-level preferred) in business, communications, marketing, or a closely related field. A minimum of 10 years of professional experience, including staff supervision. Preferred certification in professional fundraising.
• Excellence in departmental leadership, especially in personnel management, budget forecasting, annual work plans, long-term strategic planning, and sound fiscal practices.
• Proficiency in data-driven approaches that use key performance indicators and metrics to determine and track program impact.
• Demonstrated excellence in communication (written, oral, and public) and outreach (traditional, web, and social media).
• Demonstrated record of success in building relationships and generating contributed revenue from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Proficiency in cloud-based platforms and collaboration (Google Suite, Office 365, DropBox, Zoom, Slack, etc.) and CRM (Salesforce, Zoho, Zendesk, etc.) software.
• Aptitude in prototyping, design thinking, and creative problem-solving.
Founded in 1983, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a leading cultural attraction in South Florida that provides open access to all guests. Today the Center is a global leader in the research, rehabilitation, and protection of sea turtles, serving our broader mission to promote ocean ecosystem conservation. Annually we reach 900,000 guests with our transformational education programs and partner with nearly 100 organizations across six continents and 16 countries in ocean conservation. In early 2022, we will open a new 27,500 square-foot campus that greatly expands our exhibition, education, and convening space and doubles our medical facilities.
Physical Demands + Work Environment
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Successful applicants must be comfortable in a highly dynamic environment in an active and busy office or outdoor setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This position may involve working outdoors in Florida, often in hot and humid conditions, and at events that extend into evening and weekend hours. Must be willing and able to travel for offsite events and possess a valid driver’s license.
This is a salaried and exempt position. The successful incumbent may be required to perform tasks beyond the scope of this job description as requested by the supervisor. This recruitment may be used to select candidates for additional open positions. It is our policy that all team members, including newly hired, transferred, and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory 3 month period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis. We offer a competitive compensation package, including a base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
Interested applicants may submit their resume, cover letter, and the names of three references to HR@marinelife.org.