Juno Beach, Florida
Loggerhead sea turtle research and rehabilitation
The Project: Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a sea turtle rehabilitation center and conservation organization located in beautiful southeast Florida. Juno Beach is part of one of the most densely nested beaches of loggerhead sea turtles in the world with five of the world’s seven sea turtle species found off its coast. On this service excursion, you will be assisting research biologists and rehabilitation staff with various activities to aid in the rehabilitation of current sea turtle patients in one of Florida’s most advanced sea turtle hospitals whilst exploring Florida’s unique coastal ecosystems.
*Please note: Because all sea turtle species are listed as either threatened or endangered under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, guests will not be permitted to touch or otherwise handle any sea turtles during this program. All activities with our research and rehabilitation departments are conducted lawfully under our permits.
- Introduction to Florida’s sea turtle species
- Morning nesting surveys and evening nesting patrols
- Assist with the rehabilitation of sick and injured sea turtle patients in a state-of-the-art sea turtle hospital
- Half-day hatchling research tour at Florida Atlantic University’s Research Gallery
- Marine debris workshop and waterway clean-up
- Kayak excursion on a Florida Wild and Scenic River
- Round-trip airfare from ATL
- Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
- 7-day/6-night Palm Beach eco tour
- All accommodations & meals included
- Applicable activity participation fees
*based on double occupancy
Dates: June 17 – 23, 2016
Day 1: Depart Atlanta, GA / Arrive Palm Beach, Florida
- Welcome lunch and Juno project orientation
- Sea turtle 101 & Turtle Walk
Day 2: Morning research activity & evening nesting patrol training
Day 3: Half day marine debris workshop & waterway clean-up
- Lunch at Ocean Mall & beach day
Day 4-5: Rehabilitation activities and evening nesting patrol
Day 6: Kayaking excursion & Guanabanas dinner
Day 7: Depart PBI
View the detailed itinerary here.
View the packing list here.
For more information or to reserve your spot on a SWIM program, please email Hannah Campbell, Programs Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-627-8280 ext. 105.