9-Day Hawksbill Sea Turtle Monitoring & Conservation Adventure Tour with Airfare
Located on a remote peninsula in western Nicaragua, Padre Ramos lies within the Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve that encompasses one of the most ecologically important natural areas in Nicaragua. It is home to one of the largest remaining mangrove estuaries in Central America and is home to over 40% of the entire Hawksbill sea turtle nesting populations in the eastern Pacific. Surrounded by isolated beaches and an abundance of native flora and fauna, this tropical paradise will leave you wondering how quickly you can return.
On this service excursion, you will be assisting local biologists with in-water turtle monitoring, monitoring sea turtle hatcheries, mangrove reforestation, community based tourism and conducting educational activities in collaboration with Initiatva Carey del Pacifico Oriental (ICAPO), an international organization focused on the conservation of Hawksbill sea turtles in the eastern Pacific.
• Introduction to eastern Pacific sea turtle research and conservation efforts
• Participate in in-water monitoring of hawksbills in foraging hotspots
• Assist with hatchling data collection in local hatchery
• Mangrove reforestation planting and maintenance
• Kayak day trip in Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve
• Round-trip airfare from MIA
• Airline taxes and fuel surcharges
• 9-day/8-night Nicaragua sea turtle conservation vacation
• All accommodations & meals included
• Applicable activity participation fees
* Trip price does not include connecting flights to MIA, alcoholic beverages, souvenirs/gifts, personal food/drink. Guests responsible for local currency exchange.
Pricing: $1,699*/person (includes airfare)
$1,499*/person (without airfare)
*based on double occupancy
Dates: September 29 – October 7, 2017
Day 1: Depart Miami, FL / Arrive Managua, Nicaragua
• Overnight 3.5-star hotel stay in Managua City
Day 2: Scenic transfer to project station & project orientation
• A/C coach transfer to remote project location
• Introduction to Sea Turtles course and project overview
Day 3 – 5: Hatchery monitoring and in-water monitoring of hawksbill sea turtles
• Collect data for local biologists from newly emerged nests
• Assist in measuring, weighing and tagging of juvenile hawksbills in Estero Padre Ramos Reserve
• Weigh, measure and prepare hatchling data samples for biologists in the hatchery
Day 6: Mangrove reforestation & planting project
• Coastal hike of the Natural Reserve
• Outcropping project for local coastal conservation project
Day 7: Debris removal & continued in-water monitoring
• Half day debris removal effort in the heart of Padre Ramos
• Explore Padre Ramos town
• Second in-water monitoring project with local biologists
Day 8: Kayaking in Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve
Day 9: Depart Managua, Nicaragua/ Arrive Miami, FL
View the packing list here.
For more information or to reserve your spot on a SWIM program, please email Hannah Campbell,
Environmental Programs Manager, at email@example.com or 561-627-8280 ext. 105.