The Mission: Coral reef systems across the planet are suffering from increased anthropogenic stressors due to increased pollution from the land, unsustainable fishing practices and increased unnatural carbon dioxide levels. In this service excursion, you will be assisting in the maintenance of offshore coral nurseries, and outplanting corals to designated restoration sites in the Upper Keys. Land-based activities include creating monofilament hanging loops for corals and assisting the Education Center with education guests about coral reef health and conservation.
- 2-day SCUBA excursion in the Upper Keys
- Fish ID class at REEF headquarters
- Coral health and restoration workshop
- In-water coral restoration project
- Optional PADI Restoration Specialist certification
- All transportation from Loggerhead Marinelife Center
- All applicable fees
- Activity fees and surcharges
- 3-day, 2-night stay in Key Largo
- All accommodations
- Daily/nightly meals
- Applicable entrance fees
*based on double occupancy
Dates: August 25 – 27, 2016
Day 1: Depart Juno Beach, FL for Key Largo
- Behind-the-scenes tour of Loggerhead Marinelife Center
- Fish ID workshop
- Dinner at iconic Florida Keys restaurant
Day 2: Coral Reef Restoration
- Project orientation
- Coral conservation workshop
- Two-tank dive to staghorn & elkhorn coral nursery
Day 3: Coral Reef Restoration & Sea Turtle Hospital tour
- Coral outplanting dive in coral nursery
- Florida Keys reef dive
View the detailed itinerary here.
View the packing list here.
For more information or to reserve your spot on a SWIM program, please email Hannah Campbell, Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com or 561-627-8280 ext. 105.