7-Day Hawksbill Sea Turtle Monitoring & Conservation Adventure Tour
Located on a remote peninsula in western Nicaragua, Padre Ramos lies within the Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve that encompasses one of the most ecologically important natural areas in Nicaragua. It is home to one of the largest remaining mangrove estuaries in Central America and is home to over 40% of the entire Hawksbill sea turtle nesting populations in the eastern Pacific. Surrounded by isolated beaches and an abundance of native flora and fauna, this tropical paradise will leave you wondering how quickly you can return.
On this service excursion, you will be assisting local biologists with in-water turtle monitoring, monitoring sea turtle hatcheries, mangrove reforestation, community based tourism and conducting educational activities in collaboration with Initiatva Carey del Pacifico Oriental (ICAPO), an international organization focused on the conservation of Hawksbill sea turtles in the eastern Pacific.
• Introduction to eastern Pacific sea turtle research and conservation efforts
• Participate in in-water monitoring of hawksbills in foraging hotspots
• Assist with hatchling data collection in local hatchery
• Mangrove reforestation planting and maintenance
• Kayak day trip in Estero Padre Ramos Natural Reserve
• 7-day/6-night Nicaragua sea turtle conservation vacation
• All accommodations & meals included
• Applicable activity participation fees
* Trip price does not include international flights, alcoholic beverages, souvenirs/gifts, personal food/drink. Guests responsible for local currency exchange.
Pricing: $1,299*/person (without airfare)
*based on double occupancy
Dates: August 12 – 18, 2018
REGISTER HERE >>
Day 1: Arrive Managua, Nicaragua
• Overnight 3.5-star hotel stay in Managua City
Day 2: Scenic transfer to project station & project orientation
• A/C coach transfer to remote project location
• Introduction to Sea Turtles course and project overview
• Evening nesting patrol with local biologists
Day 3: Hatchery monitoring and in-water monitoring of hawksbill sea turtles
• Collect data for local biologists from newly emerged nests
• Assist in measuring, weighing and tagging of juvenile hawksbills in Estero Padre Ramos Reserve
• Weigh, measure and prepare hatchling data samples for biologists in the hatchery
Day 4: Mangrove reforestation & planting project
• Coastal hike of the Natural Reserve
• Outcropping project for local coastal conservation project
Day 5: Debris removal, exploring & Kayaking in Estero Padre Ramos Natural reserve
• Half day debris removal effort in the heart of Padre Ramos
• Explore Padre Ramos town & local culture
• Kayak excursion through mangrove tunnels in the reserve
Day 6: AM Nest Excavation/Inventory & Overnight stay in Managua
Day 7: Depart Managua, Nicaragua
View the packing list here.
For more information or to reserve your spot on a SWIM program, please email Hannah Campbell,
Environmental Programs Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 561-627-8280 ext. 105.