World Oceans Day – LMC Hosts Month Long Celebration
Loggerhead Marinelife Center Launches World Ocean Month
Every year on June 8, environmentalists, ocean-enthusiasts, and world leaders come together to celebrate World Oceans Day to generate awareness and improve the health of our blue planet. While individuals and organizations work all year long to heal our planet, this designated day reminds our global community to protect our oceans. This year, Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) has decided to celebrate World Oceans Day all-month long with “World Ocean Month.” A month designed to inspire action, provide educational resources, and create change. With water covering 71% of Earth’s surface and the ever-increasing presence of marine debris in our water ecosystems, it’s vital that we create a global community to conserve and preserve our blue planet and the life that inhabits it. Unfortunately, LMC sees firsthand the impact of marine debris on marine life and our oceans. Nearly 100% of patients that arrive at the Center have become entangled in or ingested marine debris.
As a result of ocean and wildlife threats, the United Nations recently urged individuals to call on world leaders to protect 30% of our planet by 2030. With this pressing deadline, it’s critical for individuals to become informed, inspired, and equipped to support ocean conservation. To help facilitate global change, LMC invites individuals across the globe to participate in ocean-inspired activities all-month long. While World Oceans Day draws attention to our five ocean basins, World Ocean Month recognizes countries around the globe that are connected by one ocean and its currents. In order to create a healthier planet, we must all come together as one – One World, One Ocean.
Throughout June, LMC will host weekly activities and provide free educational resources for those interested in ocean and wildlife conservation. Additionally, LMC has collaborated with the Lighthouse ArtCenter for a few special projects to be revealed on World Oceans Day (June 8) and World Sea Turtle Day (June 16). For a full list of activities, resources and virtual events, please refer to the calendar below.
World Ocean Month Calendar
- Weekly Panel Discussions – Every Wednesday from 3 to 4 p.m. EST during the month of June, LMC will host a free, virtual panel discussion on its social media platforms (Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube). During panel discussions, join members of LMC’s staff, and other experts, as they discuss a conservation-related topic and wealth of knowledge. The panel schedule is as follows: June 3: Striving for Zero: Sustainability at Home (Conservation); June 10: Saving a Species: Researching Wildlife (Research); June 17: Saving Lives: Sea Turtle Alliance (Rehab); June 24: Making Waves: Community Action (Education).
- Weekly Virtual Happy Hours – Each Friday this June from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., LMC will collaborate with local South Florida artists to host a free, virtual happy hour and music performance live-streamed from the Center’s Outdoor Sea Turtle Hospital. The Center will live stream the performances on its social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube). The happy hours and performances are as follows: June 5: Nicole Carbajal; June 12: Matt Brown; June 19: TBD; June 26: The Helmsmen.
- World Oceans Day – On Monday, June 8, LMC will celebrate World Oceans Day with special virtual and curbside pick-up activities. Receive information about these activities by visiting the Center’s website or social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter).
- World Sea Turtle Day – On Tuesday, June 16, LMC will celebrate World Sea Turtle Day with unique virtual and curbside pick-up activities. Receive information on these activities by visiting the Center’s website or social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter).
- Sea Turtle Week – From June 8 to June 16, learn more about endangered and threatened sea turtles by following LMC’s website and social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter). During the week, the Center will kick-off its summer sea turtle programs.
- Run 4 The Sea – On Father’s Day Weekend, June 20 and 21, race to improve the health of our blue planet by participating in LMC’s virtual Run 4 The Sea Event. All participants will have the option to compete virtually by logging their four-mile time online. Designed as a way to involve the whole family. Kids can participate in the one-mile fun run as well. Lace-up your shoes and run to registration.
- Wild About Wildlife Virtual Camp – Get wild with LMC, Manatee Lagoon – An FPL Eco-Discovery Center, Lion Country Safari, and The Palm Beach Zoo this summer. The four conservation organizations will celebrate our planet by hosting several sessions of virtual camp. Dive in and register now.
Month Long Activities
- Juno Beach Pier Photo Contest – From June 1 until June 30, LMC will host its sixth annual Juno Beach Pier Photo Contest. This year, the Center will accept and display submissions digitally. Contestants can find all contest details on the Center’s blog.
- Digital Poster Contest – From June 1 until June 30, LMC and the Lighthouse ArtCenter will co-host a digital poster contest. The contest will focus on sub-topics centered on the theme “One World, One Ocean.” Contestants can review contest details on the Center’s blog.
- Weekly Educational Videos – Every Tuesday and Thursday this month, LMC will release two brand new videos. One video will focus on providing updates regarding some of our sea turtle patients, while the other video will focus on providing educational information regarding LMC’s conservation initiatives and ocean conservation as a whole. The videos will be released on the Center’s social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube).
- Weekly Conservation Blogs – Each Sunday during June, LMC will publish a conservation blog highlighting LMC’s marine debris removal and conservation efforts. Supporters can read these blogs on LMC’s website or social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter).
- Shop For a Cause – This month, LMC will provide supporters with several ways to give back to ocean conservation by shopping for a cause. For specific promotions, sustainable items, and vendor spotlights, follow LMC’s online store‘s social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram) or blog.
- Earth Day Network – LMC has been selected as Earth Day Network’s official partner for the month of June. Follow Earth Day Network’s social media pages (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for exclusive leatherback sea turtle content.
All donations during World Ocean Month celebrations, events and activities will directly support Loggerhead Marinelife Center’s mission of sea turtle and ocean conservation. To help LMC’s conservation efforts, please consider making a donation.
Loggerhead Marinelife Center. Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is a nonprofit sea turtle research, rehabilitation and educational institution that promotes conservation of ocean ecosystems with a focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles. The Center features an on-site hospital, research laboratory, educational exhibits and aquariums, and also operates the Juno Beach Pier, which hosts world-class angling and sightseeing. Situated on one of the world’s most important sea turtle nesting beaches, Loggerhead Marinelife Center is open daily and hosts over 360,000 guests free-of-charge each year. The Center’s conservation team works with 90 local and international organizations across six continents to form partnerships and share conservation initiatives and best practices that are core to its mission of ocean conservation. The Center is expanding and has launched its Waves of Progress capital expansion campaign, designed to accelerate and amplify LMC’s conservation and education impact. For more information, visit www.marinelife.org or call (561) 627-8280.
LMC Media Contact:
Public Relations and Engagement Specialist