Marine Science Academy
2019 - 2020
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is continuing the “Marine Science Academy” (MSA) program that will introduce high school students to interdisciplinary topics in marine science and ocean conservation through monthly meet-ups at ecologically important areas in Palm Beach County.
Funded by the Loxahatchee Club Educational Foundation, MSA is open to high school students (grades 9-12) within Palm Beach and Martin Counties. Over the course of the 2019-2020 academic school year, students will participate in outings, trainings, workshops, and service opportunities. There is no fee associated with membership in MSA.
MSA activities will include:
- Field Experiences (kayaking, snorkeling, using transects and quadrats to estimate percent cover)
- Aquatic and marine species collection and observation
- Citizen Science training (species counts, sky quality monitoring, in-water debris removal)
- Topics in marine biology, coastal ecology, oceanography, and marine geology
- Topics in ocean careers
- Conservation projects
- Volunteering with Loggerhead Marinelife Center (all members must volunteer at LMC a minimum of 40 hours during Fall 2019 – Summer 2020)
WHEN: Meetings will be held once a month during the school year beginning in October 2019 and ending in April 2020, with additional activities and field trips added as needed.
WHERE: Meetings will be held at Loggerhead Marinelife Center: 14200 US Highway One, Juno Beach, FL, 33408, with associated activities and field trips in and around the Jupiter area.
FEE: No fee. Application required for participation.
For questions, or more information, please e-mail Lindsay French, STEM Education Coordinator, at email@example.com.