Loggerhead Marinelife Center celebrates its 35th birthday today!
While our current facility opened in 2007, you may not know that long-time Juno Beach resident Eleanor Fletcher started what is now Loggerhead Marinelife Center, originally incorporated in 1983 under a different name.
Here are just a few of the things we have accomplished:
- LMC’s advanced hospital, founded by The Gordon & Patricia Gray Family, is one of the leading facilities in the state and a prime resource for sea turtle rehabilitation
- Nearly 1,000 sea turtle patients and over 11,000 hatchlings treated just in the last decade
- Global conservation network launched: Now 76 partners strong from 6 continents, including 16 countries.
- Initiated Blue Friends Society monthly beach cleanups to prevent marine pollution and raise awareness
- Received Keep America Beautiful grant to install cigarette receptacles on Responsible Pier Initiative piers, decreasing cigarette litter in those locations by nearly 39%
- Expanded Balloon Ban initiative to 16 municipalities in five counties across Florida
- LMC’s research program is one of the longest running sea turtle monitoring programs in the state of Florida
- LMC research biologists have one of the most comprehensive datasets in the world
- Over 130,000 sea turtle nests monitored
- LMC’s research team now publishing their research
- Sea turtle tracking now available on the LMC website
- 39 unique STEM-based public and school programs offered to students of all ages
- More than 311,000 program guests served just in the last decade
- More than 350,000 guests welcomed to campus in 2017
- Year-round ongoing events and programming offered
In 2017 LMC’s campus welcomed a record-setting number of guests and offered the largest portfolio of services and programming in the history of our Center, making the campus one of the top visited cultural destinations in Palm Beach County.
Last year marked the launch of our Waves of Progress expansion campaign which will allow our Center to rehabilitate more sea turtle patients, educate more students and welcome additional guests and visiting scientists from around the globe.
We look forward to what the future will bring for LMC and welcome you to join us on our adventure!