Loggerhead Marinelife Center (LMC) is one of the worlds most advanced sea turtle hospitals and among Palm Beach County’s most visited of cultural destinations. Founded in 1983, the Center has achieved robust growth and is in the process of finishing a large capital expansion fundraising campaign of the Juno Beach, FL campus. LMC seeks a Grants Manager / Donor Advancement Facilitator to assist in their next phase of growth.
LMC’s Mission Statement: To promote conservation of ocean ecosystems with a special focus on threatened and endangered sea turtles.
LMC’s Vision Statement: To be recognized locally and internationally as the leading authority in sea turtle education, research, and rehabilitation.
LMC is seeking to dramatically accelerate growth allowing for continued expansion of our conservation and education impact, as such we are seeking a Grants Manager / Donor Advancement Facilitator.
LMC’s Grants Manager / Donor Advancement Facilitator will report to LMC’s CEO and will focus on generating grant funding for mission-centric work across LMC’s multifaceted operational ecosystem. Additionally, this position will be responsible for working with an evolving list of donors, prospects, and community stakeholders to engage them to LMC’s unique mission and portfolio.
This position will work independently and collaboratively with LMC’s internal team to determine funding needs and how funds will be – and are being – used; they also work with external organizations such as foundations and government agencies to acquire funding.
The job requires strong and creative writing skills. Sound financial understanding and budgeting skills are also required in order to generate proposal budgets and financial impact reports that render accounting and finance record keeping of critical importance. Highly tuned people skills (written & verbal communication) are required, as this role is designed to accelerate member engagement. This position will primarily work during regular business hours, although a flexible schedule and overtime might be required, especially as deadlines approach or during special development related events.
Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree is required. Previous experience in grants and grant writing is required. Must be able to self-start and effectively manage deadlines.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience with grant writing and management
• Proven track record of fundraising from foundation and government source
Overview of primary tasks:
• Perform relevant research to identify and establish new sources for grant funding
• Manage the preparation and timely submission of grant inquiries and applications
• Oversee the timely completion of detailed reports for submission to granting organizations
• Work collaboratively with various LMC departments to determine funding needs and set priorities for funding
• Monitor programs funded by grants to guarantee compliance with granting organizations
• Identify and develop strategies to optimize the grants administration process across various LMC departments
• Maintain the support of existing funded grant programs and provide stewardship of existing donors
• Serve as donor/foundation liaison by developing and fostering relationships with funders including staff, board, trustees etc.
• Maintain records of all payments and receivables and prepare monthly records for all grant related activities for submission to the CEO and Development team
• Maintain LMC wish-list of needs across various departments
• Provide support to the Development Department by attending fundraising events, as needed, acting as a representative of LMC
• Prepare donor profiles and compile historical giving data
Essential Skills and Abilities:
• Project management skills including ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines while producing quality results in a timely manner with attention to detail
• Strong command over written and verbal communication
• Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
• Strong understanding of LMC’s mission and objectives
• Knowledge of fundraising techniques and strategies
• Financial management skills including creating and monitoring budgets for accurate financial reporting
• Ability to perform with a cross-functional team with related job
• Experience performing research with Foundation Directory Online and Wealth Engine (preferred, not required)
Overview of Economic Contributions:
– Grant Renewals: $160,000 (in partnership with the LMC team)
– Net-New Grants: $150,000 of new funding in year one
– State of FL: Manage existing $500,000 approved grant and apply for and obtain two additional grants up to $1m in total for the capital expansion. Responsible for application submission, management of relationship. Office of Finance is responsible for execution and reconciliation post win including all progress / construction accounting
– PBC Cultural Council Grant: In conjunction with MKT and Finance, manage the $225,000 annual grant in particular the submission, reporting, and overall relationship
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. LMC is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package, including a base salary as well as health, 401(k), and vacation benefits.
This is a salaried position, which may require the supervision of one or more employees and requires significant exercise of independent judgment and discretion with respect to matters of significance and which directly relates to management and the general business operations of Loggerhead Marinelife Center. The job position is exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and no overtime will be paid.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Introductory Period: It is the policy of LMC that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated for an initial introductory period on the job. After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center:
Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in North Palm Beach County, FL. The Center relies on the generosity of guests, volunteers, and supporters to power their mission and vision. For more than 30 years, the center’s history revolved around community, family, conservation and fun. In their current structure, LMC’s significant scientific expertise rests upon their strong legacy of community and family engagement, providing guests and collaborators with one of the most unique experiences available. LMC is one of the most visited Cultural destinations in Palm Beach County. In 2017 LMC’s beach-side campus attracted over 330,000 visitors half of whom were from outside of Palm Beach County.
LMC also operates the Juno Beach Pier and has an operating agreement in place with FPL’s Manatee Lagoon.
On an annual basis LMC provides over $52m of annual economic impact to Palm Beach County’s economy.
LMC’s core focus areas are:
The Educational Institute at LMC: Over 50,000 registered students served in 2017
The Sea Turtle Hospital at LMC: Over 100 sea turtles, and thousands of hatchlings saved in 2017
The Sea Turtle Research Laboratory at LMC: Advanced scientists and technicians responsible for 9.5 of researching one of the most densely nested sea turtle nesting beaches on our planet.
Global Ocean Conservation: A multifaceted team dedicated to global collaborations with a ‘one ocean’ perspective, expanding LMC’s mission to nearly every continent.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
To apply, please forward your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, “attention” Grants Manager / Donor Advancement Facilitator.
You can also mail your cover letter and application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Grants Manager / Donor Advancement Facilitator
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408
Loggerhead Marinelife Center is an equal opportunity employer.